Children and Teens
Individual Therapy for Children and Teens
Your child may be a good candidate for individual therapy. Evidence-based psychotherapy has been shown to improve children’s feelings of self-efficacy, strengthen social relationships, and help children function more effectively in their environments. We predominantly draw from cognitive-behavioral techniques when working with children, but also utilize an integrative approach.
Child-focused individual therapy could include:
- Individual social skills training
- Therapies focused on helping children cope with anxiety, anger and depression
- Strategies aimed at reducing impulsivity, inattention and hyperactivityE
- Emotional regulation training
- Self-management or coping strategies, fostering greater independence
- Adjusting to life changes (i.e. parental divorce or separation)
Parent / Guardian consultations could include:
- Techniques for fostering your child’s social skill development
- Developing positive relationships and family culture with difficult children
- Family problem-solving (i.e. Dealing with homework, managing conflict, setting up a reward program)
- Management of particular behaviors, coping with divorce, blended families, etc.
- Individually tailored parenting strategies
Requirements: Children age 6-17 years old. A parent who is willing to assist with out-of-session homework assignments.
Initial phone screening to determine appropriate fit between our areas of professional competence and your child or family needs. Initial diagnostic evaluation 55-60 minutes. Please contact us for more information.